Pages

5/24/10

On Friendly's And The Food Therein

I went to Friendly's yesterday. 

I love food, I love eating out. I do not love low fat restaurant choices, and I do not like throwing food away, or eating half or portioning. I do not love any part of making good choices while eating out - or in. 

I wanted it all yesterday, A Honey BBQ Chicken Supermelt Sandwich on white bread with bacon. And fries. And a free Happy Ending Friendly's Sundae. With ketchup. And Ranch dressing. I was hungry, and drooling. Then I had a brilliant moment and realized something.

It may look like this:
 But what I'm really ingesting is this:


Now, ew. Could I really scoop Crisco out of a can and eat it by the spoonful? No. But I may as well if I eat out like that every time I go somewhere. 

I keep that up and then my body looks like this:

 And I end up like this:
 So, moral of the story is - don't go to Friendly's. Alright, not really. But learn to make better choices. I ended up having Honey BBQ Chicken Strips - no cheese, no bacon, no bread, no ranch. And a salad. I did eat fries, but only half of them. And I had a sundae - But it was my anniversary. 
 But I ended up feeling like this:

 And I don't want to feel that way anymore.

16 comments:

Karen said...

Oh I grew up with Friendlys. I remember the fries and the ice cream most. None out here where I live now.

Tricia said...

great job making compromises

JourneyBeyondSurvival said...

Me too. :) Bleh. Who wants that?

Tricia said...

I've never been to a Friendly's. We don't have them here. Thank goodness...

Jess said...

You really make a good point! Now when I want some form of fatty takeaway, I just have to remember this!

Cindy said...

I can't eat all that crap anymore or I'll spend 4 hours in the bathroom crying. Last time that happened was at Carl's jr eating a bacon double cheeseburger sourdough melt something or other from hell.

I would rather eat something semi "boring" and feel good the rest of the day than pay for it later. Why did it take me 41 years to learn that???

Anonymous said...

I love the graphics! They are the TRUTH!! :) Good job resisting the temptations.

Kristy Winters said...

Well done, I think its hard for me to remember that I am also feeding this stuff to my children and teaching them that the feelings these foods leave you with are 'normal' and 'good'. I hope I can rememebr this next time I am faced with a fast option. thank you.

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

Great job at recognizing the value of making healthier choices! And yeah, that lump of Crisco looks REALLY unappetizing. ;-)
Path to Health

Flabby McGee said...

Wow, I did not expect so many (for me) comments and the reaction you guys gave me. thanks a lot for your support!!

Traci said...

Oh it's so hard eating out. I soooo know how you feel. Totally wanting to chose the right foods, then somehow ending up eating something you hadn't planned on. Good luck with that. :) I found your blog through the HYC.

Anonymous said...

Great points! I love your writing style. :-)

big_mummy said...

hey there, i came over from Tricias blog so thought i would say hi!!

Great post, i love the graphics speaks the truth, I miss KFC , not sometimes, but then i google kfc secret recipe and low and behold its no longer secret, plus its oven baked, with no oil, its awesome. enough yacking by me.

SG said...

hahahaha!! couldnt have said it better myself! and way to go on making a "kinda healthy with a sundae" choice!

Lori said...

Hi there - I meant to pop over here a week ago and I don't know what the heck the happened. But anyway, great points! It's always a challenge to choose what you should over what you really want. Especially when it comes to fries. So good job! I'm on a fitness journey too and it ain't easy so the payoff better be big! haha.

Natalia said...

What a great thought! I will have to remember that the next time I get the idea I want or need to eat some fat laden food! :)