Pages

6/14/10

No More Giant Marshmallow!

I was reading a post by Kristina at Off The Couch, and I got to thinking. I know you're thinking - uh-oh! - but it's a good think.

When I got married I was a giant white marshmallow. Really, I was. I loved my wedding with all my heart, and I absolutely adored my dress. But my only regret was that I hadn't had enough oomph to get my butt up and lose weight.

loved my dress :)
I've had a crazy.....oh, let's say a crazy last decade or so. I've been through a lot. You can read some of it on My Story page, but it's not all listed there. As Inigo Montoya says, "let me esplain - no, there is no time, let me sum up"

I was married to a bi-polar alcoholic who used to hit me some and ridicule me more. One day before our 2nd anniversary, he left me - while I was gone all day  - and I came home to an empty house and 2 months of debt without a job. I got a job, did some stupid stuff - which included a night out that ended with me getting my stomach pumped - and was well on my way to making some bad life decisions. I met my current husband on Myspace - he emailed me and was the only guy who wanted to know me, not just hop into my pants. So I answered him, met him a month later - after many emails - and I knew the day I met him that I had found the love of my life, and I would marry this man. I saw it as God giving me a choice - shape up and have a great life, or party on and end up dead. I chose the man and the marriage and no more partying. It was a wise decision.
My favorite wedding picture.

My husband is the best, most supportive, wonderful man in the entire earth. He has changed my life, my son's life, and even my family's life. I could go on for days about him - he is not just my world, he's my universe. And my best friend.
Best Friends

So, back to the wedding - I have a plan. This was a secret plan - something I didn't want to even admit to myself, because I thought it was silly and foolish. (In case you hadn't noticed - I'm not a typical kind of girl.....) But now I see that it's a great plan - and I'm going ahead with it.

I want to get to my goal weight of 150 pounds, and resize my wedding dress. I then want to renew my vows - and have the "wedding" of my dreams - the secret dreams where I'm all skinny and sexy walking down the aisle.

It's gonna take a few years, but there it is. My plan to erase the single regret I have of my wedding day - the fact that I looked like a marshmallow. A pretty marshmallow with an awesome dress - but a marshmallow nonetheless.
meh.

And I don't really like marshmallows.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a great plan!
My weight is definitely one of the reasons why me and my husband never had a wedding. But I've even written it down on my Goals page in my notebook: Find a wedding dress, have a wedding!

Your dress is beautiful. Very flattering! I don't think you looked like a marshmallow at all!

fatty blogsticks said...

i love your dress - you looked beautiful and incredibly happy.

i must admit, i love marshmallows too. soft and sweet ain't so bad!

Kristina said...

First, thank you for the lovely comment on my blog. And I LOVE your dress. My mom made mine (and all of my bridesmaids lol). But I still have it. My 19 year old daughter tried it on last year and it fit her perfectly. Sigh~! Your plan is an awesome plan and I know you can do it. You have been through so much and to turn that around and find someone amazing is so wonderful. Im cheering you on! (and I dont care for marshmallows either.....nor do I like being one! lol)

Juli said...

I really can relate to you. What a story you have. I think you are on to something with the resizing and revowing. What a GREAT idea.

Dazee Dreamer said...

That would be so awesome. And to have a really good goal like that will help. You can do it!!!!

Mom to the Fourth Power said...

Thanks for sharing a "sum up" of a bit of your story. I love how your man in your best friend and your "universe". I feel the same way about my guy. I LOVE your goal to lose weight and renew your vows. I know you can do it too. Don't you just love that we can make 2nd (and 3rd & 4th) chances for ourselves? We don't have to accept the part of ourselves we don't like. We CAN change it, we have that power! You GO GIRL!!!

~Margene
http://www.believingitspossible.blogspot.com/

Happy Fun Pants said...

First of all, you're beautiful! And I can tell that you are very much in love with your husband - which is so great.

Second of all, I think your goal is absolutely fabulous! I think it's a great idea and what a wonderful way to honor yourself and your marriage.

Thirdly, YOU ARE SO PRETTY!

The end.

Heather, aka: Big Auntie said...

Thank you so much for sharing a bit of that lovely story! I think your goal is fantastic - you must be really excited about it! I loved the story about how you met your husband, and I am so happy that you found a guy to treat you the way you (and your child) deserve to be treated. Kudos to him! (Does he have a brother?)

I am cheering you on!

SG said...

**sniff-sniff** i love the way you talk about your hubby. sounds like he is an amazing man. you looked absolutely beautiful. you were GLOWING.

Traci said...

You look beautiful. Thanks for letting us in a little on your life. Great plan to renew your vows.

Jennifer said...

Now that sounds like great motivation! I loved my wedding too but I do wish I had gotten the weight off too! Now is as good a time as any!

Jennifer
http://wecanlosethepounds.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I love this post!!!

Manon~ said...

I think its a great idea. It will be memorable..and a confirmation of your vows with the guy in your life. I have a sneaking suspicion though...that you will still prefer the original :) for a whole host of other reasons.

Aylilth said...

1st off you looked so happy in your pics and you were lovely!!!

To renew your vows is a great idea I love the idea.

Bring Pretty Back said...

I also love your dress, and how beautiful... you found the love of your life. What a fabulous goal!

karen said...

Why I love you:

- You know enough to quote one of the greatest movies and NOT ONLY THAT but to pick one of the greatest characters as portrayed by one of my all-time favorite people

- You're funny as all heck

- I saw mention somewhere that you're also a New Yorker. We rock like that.

- You're a survivor. And a fighter. And a lover.

Can't WAIT to see what a knockout you are when you renew in the resize :)

Crystal Roberts said...

I told you before I love this idea, it is so cool! And you looked absolutely beautiful and sexy coming down the aisle! Now you will get to look that way twice.
Love the photos too!

JourneyBeyondSurvival said...

LOve this post. AWesome. You're going to have so much fun fulfilling this dream. :)

Unknown said...

Awesome post! I am so excited for you! :)

Aisha said...

I can completely relate! I loved my wedding, I LOVED my dress, I hated that I was fat in my freaking gorgeous dress. I even have a post on my blog about it, lol.

Your plan is amazing and awesome! I have no doubt that you will do it. You are an inspiration!